Grant Park Community Unified School District No. 6 Board hires Spanish teacher for the remainder of the school year
Grant Park Community Unified School District No. 6 Board of Education met Monday, Nov. 21.
Here are the minutes as provided by Grant Park CUSD No. 6:
REGULAR BOARD MEETING NOVEMBER 21, 2016
A regular meeting of the Grant Park Community Unit School District No. 6 Board of Education, Kankakee County, State of Illinois, was held on November 21, 2016, in the Middle School Library.
The meeting was called to order by President Dickson at 7:00 p.m. and the pledge of allegiance was recited.
Members present: Dave Dickson
Jerry Fick Dale Hansen Christine Horn Jerry Loitz Tim Markland Shari Ohm
Also present: Dr. John Palan, Superintendent Ms. Tracy Planeta, ES Principal Mr. Tom Sanidas, MS/HS Principal Mrs. Sue Anderson, Recording Secretary Ms. Carrie Clodi, Special Services Audience of 11
APPROVAL OF CONSENT AGENDA: Motion was made by T. Markland, seconded by J. Fick, to approve the consent agenda as follows:
1. Minutes of the regular board meeting of October 17, 2016. 2. Financial Reports for October, 2016. 3. Direction to pay the November vendor bills in the amount of $117,028.90. 4. Approval of the October payroll in the amount of $269,276.05. 5. To approve the maternity leave request submitted by Mrs. Kelly Toppen with a tentative date of April 12, 2017. 6. To approve Julie Quinn for HS Scholastic Bowl ($995, plus TRS), Rachel Malkowski as Elementary Paraprofessional ($12.41 per hour, part time), and Peyton Thiesen as 7th grade Volleyball Coach ($1,286, no TRS). 7. To approve policies: 2:120, 2:200, 2:220, 2:220-E1, 2:220-E2, 2:220-E4, 2:220-E5, 2:220-E6, 2:220-E7, 2:220-E8, 4:60, 4:110, 4:175, 5:10, 5:60, 5:60-E1, 5:100, 5:125, 5:185, 5:190, 5:250, 5:260, 5:280, 5:330, 6:15, 6:50, 6:60, 6:145, 6:160, 6:170, 6:310, 6:340, 7:50, 7:60, 7:70, 7:250, 7:260, 7:305, 7:310, 7:315, 8:30, 8:70. 8. To accept, with regret, the retirement notification of Mr. Tom Sanidas, effective June 30, 2017.
Roll Call: T. Markland – yes; J. Fick – yes; D. Hansen – yes; C. Horn – yes; J. Loitz – yes; S. Ohm - yes; and D. Dickson - yes. Motion carried unanimously.
AUDIENCE TO PERSON’S SCHEDULED IN ADVANCE: Mr. John Kaminski, ES Custodian, was recognized for his gallant efforts in helping a first grade student that was choking on a sucker. He was able to perform the Heimlich maneuver to dislodge the sucker from the student’s throat. The board, administration, ES teachers and fellow custodians were all in the audience to show appreciation.
ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORTS: The administrators’ reports are attached. Superintendent: Dr. Palan’s report included:
1. The purchase of 20 IPADS, a cart and software with grant funds is contributing to enhanced technology in the early elementary grades.
2. The preliminary Illinois School Report Card shows that several of the administrative target goals were met. More information will be available at the December board meeting
3. Results of the Illinois Youth Survey of students in Kankakee and Iroquois counties regarding a number of drug and alcohol related questions.
4. An enrollment update showed no change from last month.
DISCUSSION OF THE 2016 TAX LEVY AND SETTING A HEARING DATE FOR DECEMBER 19TH: Dr. Palan has been working on the levy and stated that although property values increased, according to the EAV, the caps will still limit new revenue to.8%. The overall extension, after the CAPS/CPI will be $3,525,500. The Board set the hearing date for Monday, December 19th in the MS library.
BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS: President: Mr. Dickson commended the presenters, Dr. Palan, Mrs. Ohm and Mr. Hansen, for a great job at the Community Engagement session at the IASB Conference on Saturday. Building and Grounds: Tonight’s meeting was rescheduled for next month. Technology: Meeting will be held next month. Kankakee Area Special Education Co-op: A meeting next week will cover the sale of the building as a potential buyer has shown interest in the property. Kankakee Area Career Center: A proposed pilot training program is in the works. IASB-Three Rivers Division: The delegates’ assembly at the Conference all went according to the recommendations except for two issues regarding special needs students and schools as polling places. Chamber of Commerce: No meeting Student Representatives: MS and HS students painted windows for Christmas in the Village; preparations for Homecoming are in the works; the Jazz Band concert was very well received.
Board Communications: In recognition of Board Appreciation Day last week, the ES students and staff prepared a video presentation thanking the Board for all that they do for November 21, 2016 2 the district.
COMMUNITY FORUM AND OTHER: There were no questions or comments from the audience.
EXECUTIVE SESSION: Motion was made by J. Loitz, seconded by S. Ohm, at 7:37 p.m. to go into Executive Session for the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the District or legal counsel for the District, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee or against legal counsel for the District to determine its validity. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(1), as amended by P.A. 93-0057. Roll Call: J. Loitz - yes; S. Ohm - yes; J. Fick - yes; D. Hansen – yes; C. Horn – yes; T. Markland - yes; and D. Dickson - yes. Motion carried unanimously.
RETURN TO REGULAR MEETING: President Dickson declared the closed session was over at 7:52 p.m. and the meeting would continue in Open Session.
APPROVAL OF EXECUTIVE SESSION MINUTES: Motion was made by D. Hansen, seconded by C. Horn, at 7:53 p.m. to approve the Executive Session minutes as read. Roll Call: D. Hansen – yes; C. Horn – yes; J. Fick – yes; J. Loitz - yes; T. Markland – yes; S. Ohm - yes; and D. Dickson – yes. Motion carried unanimously.
APPROVAL TO EMPLOY SPANISH TEACHER: Motion was made by J. Fick, seconded by S. Ohm, at 7:54 p.m. to approve the employment, contingent on licensure, of Kathryn Girard as High School Spanish Teacher for the remainder of the 2016-17 school year at prorated salary of $16,201 plus TRS. Roll Call: J. Fick – yes; S. Ohm – yes; D. Hansen – yes; C. Horn – yes; J. Loitz – yes; T. Markland – yes; and D. Dickson – yes. Motion carried unanimously.
ADJOURN: Motion was made by J. Loitz, seconded by J. Fick, at 7:55 p.m. to adjourn. Voice vote, all yes. Motion carried unanimously.
November 21, 2016 3
Organizations in this Story
Wheaton, IL 60189