Manteno Community Unit School District No. 5 Board of Education approves 2016 tax levy
Manteno Community Unit School District No. 5 Board of Education met Tuesday, Nov. 15.
Here are the minutes as provided by Manteno CUSD No. 5:
Manteno Community Unit School District No. 5
Regular Meeting of the Board of Education
Tuesday, November 15, 2016
High School Library
The meeting was held in the library of the Manteno High School and was called to order by President Stauffenberg at 6:30 p.m.
Roll Call The following members answered to roll call: G. Dodge, E. Hofmeister, M. Jackson, P. Mallaney, L. Murray, M. Schubert and M. Stauffenberg – Seven (7). Absent – None - (0).
Also present: Supt. Harrod, R. Schnitzler, K. Flanigan, R. Haines, M. Glenn, J. Emerson, A. Furbee, C. Majerski, E. Ruff, T. Steele, C. Creek, J. Finkelstein, T. Weber, J. DePoister, D. Fortin and Recording Clerk Kaufman – Sixteen - (16).
Visitors: Jenny O’Reilly, Mindy Farmer, Brooke Joerms, Julie Wulff, FFA Convention Officers (Karah Anker, Bailey Field, Nicole Neiner), All-State Show Choir Students (Andrew Lewis and Jon Had) and families, Madrigal Singers Group – approximately 19 people.
President Stauffenberg led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Additional Agenda Items – None
In recognition of Board Member Appreciation Day, High School Principal Roger Schnitzler introduced the High School Madrigal Singers Group who sang the National Anthem for the Board as a thank you for their dedication to the Manteno School Board of Education.
Mr. Schnitzler introduced the All Sate Show-Choir Competition students, Andrew Lewis and Jon Had. Jon represented Manteno as a trombone player in the Combo Band and Andrew represented Manteno as a Singer/Dancer.
Mr. Schnitzler introduced three FFA Officers (Karah Anker, Nicole Neiner and Bailey Field) who attended the FFA National Convention in Indianapolis, IN from Wednesday October 19, 2016 through Saturday, October 22, 2016. Each officer spoke about a different experience that they encountered during the convention.
In addition to the monthly report, PTO President, Brooke Joerms, thanked the Board Members for everything they do each day to support our District. She gave them each a gift of appreciation.
Reports of Building Committee – Chairman Hofmeister reported that the Building Committee met on November 8, 2016 and discussed the following:
I. Call to Order
II. Budget Review
III. Old Business
B. High School
1. Gym Floor Water Damage Update
2. Gym Roof Replacement Project Update
3. Panther Statue Wall Update
4. Softball Field Issues Update
B. Middle School
1. Back Door Entrance Update – Concrete Fascia
C. Elementary School
IV. New Business
1. District Awning Repairs
B. High School
1. Track Resurfacing – Midwest Track Builders
C. Middle School
1. Elevator Repair
2. Skateboard/Scooter Rack
3. North Stairwell Repair
D. Elementary School
V. Additional Agenda Items
1.High School Classroom Chairs Purchase
Finance Committee – Chairman Mallaney reported that the Finance Committee met on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 and discussed the following:
I. Old Business
A. State Revenue Update - FRIS
B. Drivers Education Vehicle Update
II. New Business
A. Tech Equipment Update
B. 2016 Tentative Levy – Approve Final 2016 Tax Levy
III. Review Finance Packet
Summary of Cash/Investment/Fund Balances Report
Revenue/Expenditure Summary Report
Revenue/Expenditure Budget Report
Cost Analysis – Education; Cost Analysis – O&M
Food Service Report
O&M Gas & Electric Expenditure Report
Payroll Extras Report
Impress Check Report
Accounts Payable Report
Activity Account Reports
IV. Additional Items
V. Future Items
Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment Committee – Curriculum Director, Cathy Creek, reported that the Illinois Report Cards were published and posted to our District website. You can find any school report card in the state of Illinois on illinoisreportcard.com.
Ms. Creek also reported that January 15, 2017 is the target date for going live with the Atlas public site. There will be an institute day on December 22nd. Half of the day will be individual work time and the other half will be team leader driven. Dismissal time will be 2:00PM.
Technology Committee – Technology Director, Tom Steele reported that the Tech Department met on November 9, 2016 and approved the order of WiFi equipment for the Elementary School with the installation over the Christmas break. They discussed the excessive use of printing/copying and will encourage the staff to conserve and change their default settings. They discussed phasing out stand-alone printers in 2018 at the end of our printer contract. They also discussed moving our email to Google Apps if we can find a replacement for our voicemail system. The Tech Department is conducting a survey to the staff to see how voicemail is used and how frequently. Mr. Steele shared with the Board that State Farm has donated 75 computers (approximately 3 years old) to the District.
Consent Moved by Dodge, seconded by Mallaney to approve the Consent Agenda as
Regular Board Meeting – October 25, 2016
B. Financial Reports
Summary of Cash/Investment/Fund Balances
Revenue/Expenditure Summary Reports
Revenue/Expenditure Budget Reports
Cost Analysis – Education, Cost Analysis – O&M
Food Service Report
O&M Gas & Electric Expenditure Reports
Payroll Extras Report
Impress Check Report
Accounts Payable Report
Activity Accounts Reports
Additional Accounts Payable
C. Approve Technology Department Out-of-State Travel
D. Approve Updated Regional Office of Education Substitute Teacher List
E. Approve Bass Fishing Team 2nd Annual Fish Fry Fundraiser
Penny Matherly – 3 Hour Food Service (remain as food service substitute)
Allison Provost, Middle School Special Education Teacher – from approximately April 3, 2017 and returning to work for the FY18 school year (37 days)
I. Employments for the 2016-2017 School Year
Antoinette Eldridge, Middle School Paraprofessional - effective 11/02/2016
Taylor Van Iten, Substitute Bus Aide - effective 9/27/2016
Garrett Allen, Substitute Custodian and Substitute Food Service staff member - effective 11/01/2016
Megan Tamblyn, FMLA Substitute for High School PE position - from approximately mid-January thru March, 2017
J. Employments Pending Successful Completion of Employment Paperwork
Sydney Couch, Long-term Substitute for Middle School Special Education Teacher - effective from approximately March 27, 2017 until the end of the FY17 school year
Candice Birr, Long-term Substitute for High School Special Education Teacher - effective from approximately March 13, 2017 until the end of the FY17 school year
Gwedolyn Aiello, Food Service Substitute
Ayes: Dodge, Mallaney, Hofmeister, Jackson, Murray, Schubert, Stauffenberg –Seven
(7). Nays – None (0). Motion carried.
A. Good News
1. Superintendent Harrod thanked the Board of Education for everything they do for the District. She thanked them for their dedication to the staff and students and for the trust that they invest in the Administration.
2. Congrats to the HS Volleyball team who won the Regional championship for the 4th year in a row. They defeated Peotone on Thursday October 27th for the title. Congratulations to Nora Crockett, Emma Hofmeister and Caitlin Meyer for being selected to the VB I-8 All-Conference 1st team and Jessica Schindler to the 2nd team.
3. Congrats to the following soccer players who were named to the I-8 All Conference Soccer Team: Trent Burgeson, Austen Smith, Matt Schaeffer and AJ Gilliam.
4. Congrats to High School students, Alyssa Jacobucci and Zach Zawisza and Middle School students Joey Cole and Zac Carson for their acceptance into the ILMEA District Concert and Jazz Festivals. The students were selected to perform at the Illinois Music Educator’s District 3 Jazz Conference at Olivet on Saturday November 5th.
5. Congratulations to the Middle School Speech team who had an outstanding day at the state competition held at Homer on Saturday, November 5. They brought home six 1st place entries and one 2nd place.
6. Congratulations to the Middle School girls basketball teams as the 8th grade took 2nd place and 7th grade 3rd place in the Kan-Will Tournament this past week.
7. Tomorrow night (Wednesday) the Interact Club will be packing up all of the cards and letters created by community members, staff and students to be mailed to our annual Manteno High School alumni currently serving in the U.S. military. This year 51 packets will be mailed for the holidays.
8. 49 eligible staff members took part in the free Interactive Health flu shot clinic held 10/26/16 at the Elementary School
9. Over 50 staff members have signed up for Teledoc, which is the 24/7/365 access to doctor’s thru their mobile device with a video or camera. This has reduced the number of staff members taking off for appointments for themselves or their family members at no charge to them, as well as quick assistance for prescriptions being called in to a local pharmacy for our staff members. When staff use this service, it also reduces our overall number of office visits and urgent care claims.
Approve Moved by Schubert, seconded by Mallaney to approve the Certificate of Tax Levy Tax Levy for Kankakee and Will Counties regarding the amounts of money estimated to be Certificate necessary to be raised by taxation in 2016. Ayes: Schubert, Mallaney, Dodge,
Hofmeister, Jackson, Murray, Stauffenberg – Seven (7). Nays: None (0).
Approve Moved by Dodge, seconded by Murray to approve the Holiday Ensemble Holiday Sunday performance on Sunday December 4, 2016 at the First Baptist Church Ensemble of Manteno. Voice Vote: All Ayes: Seven (7). Nays: None (0). Motion carried.
Executive Moved by Hofmeister, seconded by Dodge to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees or legal counsel; collective negotiating matters; presentation of evidence or testimony as authorized by law; professional ethics or performance; Ayes: Hofmeister, Dodge, Jackson, Mallaney, Murray, Schubert,
Stauffenberg – Seven (7). Nays: None (0). Motion carried. Open Session ended at 6:52 PM.
Return to Moved by Hofmeister, seconded by Schubert to close Executive Session and return Open Session to Open Session. Ayes: Hofmeister, Schubert, Dodge, Jackson, Mallaney, Murray, Stauffenberg – Seven (7). Nays: None (0). Motion carried. Executive Session ended at 7:50PM.
Adjourn Moved by Hofmeister, seconded by Schubert to adjourn the meeting at 7:51PM. Voice Vote: All Ayes: Seven (7). Nays: None (0). Motion carried.
Mark Stauffenberg* Patrick Mallaney*
Mark Stauffenberg Patrick Mallaney
Board President Board Secretary
*Original Signatures on file at the District Office.
Organizations in this Story
84 N Oak St
Manteno, IL - 60950-1522