Grant Park Community Unit School District 6 Board met February 25
Grant Park Community Unit School District 6 Board met Feb. 25.
Here is the minutes provided by the board:
The meeting was called to order by President Dickson at 7:00 p.m. and the pledge of allegiance was recited.
Members present: Dave Dickson
Members absent: Shari Ohm
Also present: Dr. John Palan, Superintendent
Ms. Tracy Planeta, ES Principal
Mr. Matt Maxwell, MS/HS Principal
Mrs. Sue Anderson, Recording Secretary
Audience of 12 (2 remaining after Scholar presentation)
APPROVAL OF CONSENT AGENDA:
Motion was made by J. Fick, seconded by J. Loitz, to approve the consent agenda as follows:
1. Minutes of the regular board meeting of January 28, 2019.
2. Financial Reports for January, 2019.
3. Direction to pay the February vendor bills in the amount of $134,855.88.
4. Approval of the January payroll in the amount of $266,950.20.
5. Approval of the 2019-20 School Calendar, as presented.
6. To accept the resignation of Leigh Ann Reiniche as MS Athletic Director (effective for the 2019-20 school year) and Juan Desiderio, MS Baseball Head Coach.
7. To approve SAT Prep Instructors Katie Kreis, Carol Cademartori and Jamie Heikes at $25.00 per session, Brianne Souligne as MS Softball Assistant Coach ($977 plus TRS), and Melissa Crivokapich as HS Assistant Softball Coach ($1,821 plus TRS).
8. Approval of Seniority List, as presented.
Roll Call: J. Fick – yes; J. Loitz – yes; V. Gawlinski - yes; C. Horn - yes; T. Markland - yes; and D. Dickson - yes. Motion carried unanimously.
AUDIENCE TO PERSON’S SCHEDULED IN ADVANCE: Recognition of the Illinois State Scholars (Chloe Nagi, Jon Persson, Eliseo Sandoval, Lydia Sellers and Nathan Williams) and also, Nathan Williams, State Qualifier in the Pre-Calc Math contest.
ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORTS: The administrators’ reports are attached. Superintendent: Dr. Palan’s report included:
1. The district did not receive the Property Tax Relief Grant in the amount of $786,000.
2. IAR (formerly PAARC) and SAT Assessments will be given soon and letters will be going home to parents regarding the testing.
3. Fiscal ’19 budget update shows the funds are in good shape at this point in the year.
4. Enrollment report shows a decrease of three students from the previous month.
APPROVAL OF THE 2019-20 TRANSPORTATION LEASE:
Motion was made by T. Markland, seconded by V. Gawlinski, to approve the 2019-20 transportation lease with Midwest Transit Equipment, as presented. Roll Call: T. Markland - yes; V. Gawlinski - yes; C. Horn - yes; J. Loitz - yes; T. Markland - yes; and D. Dickson – yes. Motion carried unanimously.
BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS:
President: On March 20th there will be a “Meet the Candidates” night. All candidates are running unopposed.
Building and Grounds: Quotes are due on 3/1 for a new lawnmower.
Technology: No report
Kankakee Area Special Education Co-op: No report
Kankakee Area Career Center: Next meeting is on March 14th.
IASB-Three Rivers Division: Next meeting is on March 5th.
Chamber of Commerce: No report
Student Representatives: Not in attendance
Board Communications: The Strategic Plan and brochure are being finalized and on April 4th from 7:30 am – 11:30 am there will be a county Economic Alliance at Northfield Square Mall.
COMMUNITY FORUM AND OTHER: There were no questions or comments from the audience.
Motion was made by J. Fick, seconded by C. Horn, at 7:19 p.m. to go into Executive Session for the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the District or legal counsel for the District, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee or against legal counsel for the District to determine its validity. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(1), as amended by P.A. 93-0057.
Collective negotiating matters between the public body and its employees or their representatives or deliberations concerning salary schedules for one or more classes or employees.
Roll Call: J. Fick - yes; C. Horn - yes; V. Gawlinski - yes; J. Loitz - yes; T. Markland - yes; and D. Dickson - yes. Motion carried unanimously.
RETURN TO REGULAR MEETING:
President Dickson declared the closed session was over at 7:28 p.m. and the meeting would continue in Open Session.
APPROVAL OF EXECUTIVE SESSION MINUTES:
Motion was made by J. Fick, seconded by J. Loitz, at 7:29 p.m. to approve the Executive Session minutes as read. Roll Call: J. Fick – yes; J. Loitz – yes; V. Gawlinski – yes; C. Horn - yes; T. Markland - yes; and D. Dickson – yes. Motion carried unanimously
APPROVAL OF MATERNITY LEAVE REQUEST FOR 2019-20:
Motion was made by C. Horn, seconded by V. Gawlinski, to approve the maternity leave request from ES Teacher Stephanie Armantrout for the first semester of the 2019-20 school year. Roll Call: C. Horn – yes; V. Gawlinski – yes; J. Fick – yes; J. Loitz – yes; T. Markland - yes; and D. Dickson – yes. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion was made by T. Markland, seconded by J. Fick, at 7:30 p.m. to adjourn. Voice vote, all yes. Motion carried unanimously.